Are you ready to spring into Spring with the roll of some rice paper and a side serving of peanut sauce? It’s time to break out your unique, warm-weather recipes to keep your friends entertained and always impressed with what you’ve got to put on the table (pun intended, picnic table implied). They’ll bring their meats, cheeses, and charcuterie boards galore, but we’re about to teach you how to bring the heat and fire up those picnic party food wars.
Drop your friends’ jaws with a pull from your wooden basket, showcasing a beautiful batch of homemade spring rolls! Fool them into thinking your day’s been spent crowded in the kitchen cutting, chopping, and rolling rice paper, but alas, these Vietnamese Spring rolls are fresh to taste and even simpler to make. A mere technique of placing, folding, and rolling is all that needs to be mastered. Trust us, if we can do it, anyone can. So, if you’ve got the rice, you’re ready to roll.
- 2 ounces rice vermicelli
- 8 rice wrappers (8.5 inch diameter)
- 10 large cooked and peeled shrimp
- 4 teaspoons fish sauce
- 1 tablespoons chopped fresh basil
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro
- 3 leaves chopped lettuce
- ¼ cup water
- 2 garlic minced garlic cloves
- 2 tablespoons white sugar
- ½ teaspoons garlic chili sauce
- 3 tablespoons hoisin sauce
- 1 teaspoon of chopped peanuts
Preheat oven to 400ºF
- First, bring a pot of water to a boil. Add the vermicelli to the water for about 4 minutes or until al dente. Follow by draining.
- Put warm water into a large bowl. Quickly dip a wrapper into the warm water to help it soften, then lay it flat. In the center of the wrapper, place 2 shrimp halves, a layering of vermicelli, mint, basil, cilantro, and lettuce. Feel free to add other toppings, such as avocado, sesame seeds, mango, carrots, etc. Leave two uncovered inches on each side of the soon-to-be spring roll. Fold the uncovered sides in, then begin to roll the wrapper like you would a burrito. Continue the placing, folding, and rolling technique with remaining ingredients.
- In a small bowl, mix the hoisin sauce and peanuts.
- Mix the fish sauce, lime juice, water, garlic, chili sauce, and sugar in a separate smaller bowl for an additional dipping option.
- Serve the spring rolls on a plate with both sauces.
*Recipe inspired by AllRecipes.com[/preparation]