Looking for that perfect dish to satisfy your winter comfort food craving? Yet simultaneously, trying to maintain that January health kick, exercise and clean eating gig? Well, we know the feeling too and so does about 99.9% of America, but have no fear, the Vrem-i-spiration team is here! You don’t have to THAI too hard this year to be that health guru who engorges themselves only on tofu and kale, because we’ve got a delicious and cozy Thai comfort food concoction that certainly qualifies as “healthy.”
In terms of your new wellness ways of 2018, don’t be upsetti just eat some spaghetti (squash)! Spaghetti squash is an amazing low-carb alternative to your average flour based pasta noodle — just a penne for your thoughts. Check out our favorite Pad Thai spaghetti squash recipe below and experience the tasty ways of 2018 — semi comfort, semi cozy, and semi conscious. Vremi’s takes the “hell” out of being healthy.
- 1 spaghetti squash
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- ½ large cucumber, peeled and quartered
- 1 cup carrot, sliced
- 1 cup bell pepper, diced
- ½ cup green onion, chopped
- ½ cup onion, diced
- ¼ cup fresh cilantro, chopped
- ¼ cup water
- 3 tablespoons soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon sesame oil
- 2 tablespoons honey, or agave
- 2 tablespoons fresh lime juice
- 2 tablespoons Sriracha
- ½ cup creamy peanut butter
- 1 ½ tablespoons fresh ginger, peeled and minced
- 1 tablespoon garlic, minced
- Peanut, crushed, to serve
- Preheat oven to 400ºF
- Cut the squash in half, use a fork to poke holes into the skin, and microwave for about 5 minutes to soften. Allow to cool before cutting the squash.
- Remove the seeds, coat with olive oil, and season with salt, and pepper. Bake for 40-45 minutes.
- Combine water, soy sauce, sesame oil, honey, lime juice, Sriracha, peanut butter, ginger, and garlic in a bowl. Stir ingredients well.
- Remove squash from the oven and use a fork to scrape the newly soft edges edges to produce that stringy “spaghetti.”
- In a separate bowl combine “spaghetti” with cucumber, carrots, peppers, green onions, onions, peanuts, cilantro, and also, the sauce you’ve just made. Add this mixture back to the hollowed out spaghetti squash halves. Serve in the squash, and garnish with cilantro and peanuts.
*Recipe inspired by cookingclassy.com